CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Using The Proper Soccer Ball For The Proper Age

Prior to the start of a training session, I had an Under-10 player approach me and tell me that he went home to work on his shooting (our prior practice was focused on proper shooting technique) and something wasn't right. During our previous practice, he was really getting speed and accuracy on his shots, but at home he said he was struggling to get the ball up and his shots were all over the place. I told him to go get a ball and let's look at it.

He ran over to his bag and pulled out his soccer ball, and right then I saw what was wrong. He had a size 5 soccer ball, the wrong size ball for his age. There is a reason soccer balls are numbered, so they are the appropriate size for the age that uses them. Under 6 and Under 8 need to be using size 3 soccer balls, Under 10 and Under 12 need to be using size 4. Not until a player enters the Under 14 ranks, should they be using a size 5 (normal soccer ball).

I quickly grabbed a size 4 soccer ball for the player and let him practice a couple shots again and to no surprise his distance and accuracy returned.

As an adult, when I play with a size 3 or size 4 soccer, I am Superman because the ball is smaller and lighter. So what do you think happens to a child using an adult ball? The complete opposite and that will destroy their development. We want them to grow with the ball, not be hampered by it.

So make sure you have the right ball for the right age.